Busted! Don’t Believe These Canada Immigration Myths!

Author: Esquire Canada Immigration And Education | | Categories: Canada Immigration , Canada Tax , Canadian Tax Services , Immigration Agency Hongkong , Immigration Services , Licensed Immigration Consultants , Migrate To Canada , Study in Canada , Tax Consultation

Blog by Esquire Canada Immigration and Education

Immigrating to another country can be a tedious affair due to the ambiguous and urgent nature of the immigration process. To take away the stress associated with immigration, it’s best to work with an immigration consultant as they can help you make a successful application the first time around. 

However, the many myths and misconceptions associated with the Canadian immigration process can prompt people to commit mistakes and reduce their chances of visa approval. To help you steer clear of such misconceptions and reap the benefits of hiring an immigration consultant, Esquire Canada Immigration and Education has debunked the three most widely believed myths about Canada immigration.

Myth 1: I need to be in Canada and get a job before I can sponsor my spouse to apply for permanent residence.

The myth exists because there are many sponsorship programs in Canada, and the requirements are different for each program. You don’t need to be in Canada or have a job in Canada before you can sponsor your spouse. However, you will need to demonstrate your intention to return to Canada and show that you have enough financial support to re-establish yourself and your family in Canada. In fact, many people apply for spousal sponsorship outside Canada instead of using the in-Canada class application. Work with an immigration consultant to understand which option is the best for your situation.

Myth 2: I am a Canadian permanent resident but haven’t returned to Canada for many years; therefore, I am no longer a Canadian permanent resident now.

A Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) is only an identification allowing you to board a plane or other public transportation. It has nothing to do with your immigration status. If you are not sure whether you are still a Permanent Resident of Canada, your immigration consultant can assist you in checking your status with IRCC and whether you can return to Canada as a permanent resident.

Myth 3: Once I land in Canada as a Permanent Resident, I cannot leave Canada until I become a Canadian citizen.

Many people do not understand the Canadian immigration law regarding the PR residency obligation. Under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Section 28, you only need to stay in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years in order to keep your PR status, and these 730 days don’t need to be continuous. In some situations, even your time staying overseas may count towards the 730 days.

If you want to steer clear of these and other myths related to immigration, reach out to the experts at Esquire Canada Immigration and Education. As leading licensed immigration consultants, we can navigate you and your family through the immigration process and ensure that you make a successful application the first time around. Our in-depth knowledge and experience have enabled us to provide the necessary support to immigrants before, during, and after the immigration process. 

We have offices in Hong Kong and Toronto to give our clients ease of access and the highest quality services. Besides immigration services, we also offer educational consultancy and tax consultation services to current and potential immigrants. 

To learn more about how we can help you, please click here. If you have any questions about Canada immigration or our services, we would love to hear from you. Please contact us here.