Three New Canada Immigration Programs for Hong Kong Residents

Author: Esquire Canada Immigration And Education | | Categories: Canada Immigration , Immigration Agency Canada , Immigration Services

Blog by Esquire Canada Immigration and Education

Immigration is a key driver of Canada’s economic growth, and Canada continues to welcome the best and brightest from around the world, who help create jobs for Canadians help build the country. As we focus on accelerating our recovery, Canada will continue to be the world’s top destination for talent, capital, and jobs. Because of this, Canada has now opened three new immigration pathways for Hong Kong residents to immigrate to Canada. To help you understand these programs better, Esquire Canada Immigration and Education has explained them below.

1. Permanent Residence Stream A - Study Post-Secondary in Canada
For this steam, candidates must have completed one of the qualifying Canadian education credentials in the last three years. They must have a degree or diploma at least two years in length from a Canadian post-secondary designated learning institution. Or they must have a post-graduate diploma, certificate, or credential that is at least one year in length from a Canadian post-secondary designated learning institution. This program requires that the person should have graduated with a degree or diploma no more than five years before commencing the above qualifying one-year credential.

2. Permanent Residence Stream B - Work one year full-time in Canada
This stream requires candidates to have completed at least one year of qualifying Canadian work experience within the past three years, in addition to completing a qualifying education credential within the last five years.  Work experience can be in any skill type and must have been completed while on valid status in Canada. It is important to note that periods of work during full-time studies or self-employed work experience are not considered toward one’s eligibility for this initiative. Candidates also must have completed a qualifying foreign or Canadian education credential in the last five years.

3. Open work permits for Hong Kong recent graduates
As a recent Hong Kong graduate, one may be eligible to apply for an open work permit under a temporary public policy for Hong Kong residents. To be eligible, they must hold a valid passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or the United Kingdom to a British National Overseas. Their work permit will be valid for up to three years or until their passport expires, whichever comes first. They must also meet the education requirements for post-secondary, graduate, or post-graduate studies. The candidate must have graduated no more than five years before they apply for this open work permit with either a degree or a diploma for a minimum two-year program from a designated post-secondary learning institution in Canada or an institution abroad.

Anybody holding Hong Kong Passport or BNO Passport can apply for immigration through these channels. We can provide professional consultation based on their situation and requirements. We can even assist them in applying for colleges in Canada, study permits, and permanent residence.

If you are looking for licensed Canadian immigration consultants, then reach out to us at 852-2892-7674 or email us at We are an innovative Canadian immigration and education consulting company bringing a new perspective for people planning to move to or study in Canada. Both of our founders, Naresh Choithramani and Patrick Miu, have gone through the process of starting off as visa students to end up being Canadian citizens. This made them eager to start Esquire Canada Immigration and Education to help others who have a dream of coming to Canada. With our personal experience and professional skills, we can help others to make this journey smooth for their immigration, study, or visa application. Our immigration services include immigration to Canada, family sponsorship visa, study permit and visa, skilled worker (express entry) visa, entrepreneur visa, investor visa, self-employed person program. Visit our website to learn more, or get in touch with us by clicking here.